August 24, 2011

KL: The Garden City of Lights

We took an overnight train from Singapore to KL. The train was no frills, but perfectly adequate, and we did manage to catch a few Zzzzzzs. While in KL, we stayed at the PARKROYAL Serviced Suites. I got a great deal through Expedia.ca. I think the hotel was having a promotion at the time.

After dropping off our bags, we headed straight to the Batu Caves. This place is probably the most popular Hindu shrine in Malaysia. It is also the focal point of Thaipusam, a very important Hindu festival.

To get to the main cave, I climbed 272 steps. It wasn't as bad as I expected. It probably would have been much worse had I gone in the afternoon when it was even more hot. The poor Quatchis were braving the heat in my backpack. Their fur is not meant for +35 degree weather!

In the afternoon we braved the sun and went to Merdeka Square. This is where the National Day Parade is held each year.

We then ventured to the Islamic Arts Museum. There's some really cool stuff here. I really like the ceramics and calligraphy. The Quatchis especially appreciated the air conditioning!

Suria KLCC is a huge mall! The Quatchis are looking out from the fourth floor. There are six floors in total.

The mall is at the foot of the impressive Petrona Towers. We didn't have a chance to go up to the viewing deck, but we did take lots of pictures from down below, from the SkyBar at Traders Hotel, and from the rooftop pool at our hotel.

Mini Q doesn't look so mini in front of the towers! Tee hee!

In addition to the things you see above, we also visited Petaling Street (Chinatown), the Central Market (cultural shopping centre), No Black Tie (a jazz club), and Bukit Bintang (the famous shopping district). I spent one evening with my friend, Adriene. She took me to Jalan Alor for dinner and drove me around the city to see all the lights at night. I also went swimming at the hotel (the first time all year), got a massage (the first time ever) and watched a traditional dance show at the Malaysia Tourism Centre. We did quite a bit in three days!

1 comment:

  1. The Q clan totally knows how it feels to be in humid hot weather. They all feel for Q and mini Q but we are glad that they get some air conditioning time in between the great sites!

    ReplyDelete