September 6, 2010

We made it to Beijing!

Q and I took another overnight train from Shanghai to Beijing, but this time it was only 9 hours, and we were in first class! The highlight of Beijing was definitely the Great Wall!

Q and I eventually made it up to the third peak in the distance.

Q loved the view! And it was nice and breezy, unlike the city centre, which was hot and hazy.

Here's Q in the Summer Palace. This is where the emperor would spend his summer holidays. The gardens here are the best in the city. The Summer Palace is a UNESCO World Heritage Site, just like the Great Wall.

Decorated paifang (Chinese archways) in the Summer Palace.

The Peking University campus was beautiful! We enjoyed a nice leisurely walk around the lake.

Q on the second floor of the Beijing Planning Exhibition Hall. This is a good place to visit if you want to learn about Beijing's past, present, and future economic development.

Q checking out a model of the city. It was massive!

While in Beijing, we stayed in the lovely Beijing Hotel. It was probably one of the nicer hotels I've ever been to (five stars). Q loved the comfy bed. He didn't want to leave on the last day!

During our stay, Q and I also visited Tiananmen Square and the Forbidden City. I wish we spent more time here!

4 comments:

  1. Wow! Q and Sam really know how to travel! The Quatchi family really wants to follow you guys and do the same travel. Unfortunately, Quatchifan only can carry 2 at a time comfortablely and safely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Quatchi, great pics
    You are an international superstar

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you tried dumplings and roast ducks? They are the famous and traditional Beijing dieshes. And also bird's nest soup? Its a delicacy in China.

    Enjoy your days~~~

    Gillion
    www.geocities.jp/hongkong_bird_nest/index_e.htm

    ReplyDelete
  4. We sure did! Although, I had the roast duck in HK...

    ReplyDelete