October 5, 2014

One Day in Cowtown

I went to Calgary last week for work. Mini joined, since I extended my stay to visit a friend. On our first free day, we walked all around downtown. I completely forgot to take any photos in the morning since it was so chilly out. We accomplished a lot in a few hours - we checked out Kensington, the Peace Bridge, the Bow Valley Pathway, and Prince's Island Park.

Mini is pointing to the Chinese Cultural Centre. We dipped in quickly before heading to Chinatown and grabbing a bite to eat.

There's a decent amount of public art in the city. This sculpture is by Jaume Plensa, a Spanish artist. 

Olympic Plaza was much smaller than we expected. If we had more time, we would have went to Canada Olympic Park - the main site of the 1988 Winter Olympics.


Mini is standing in front of a newspaper being held up by Nellie McClung. She, along with four other women that make up this monument, were very important for women's rights in Alberta.

Though not as tall as the CN Tower, the Calgary Tower has the highest 360 observation deck in the world.

Mini was very patient while I went shopping along Stephen Avenue Walk. There's no provincial sales tax in Alberta, so I tried to take advantage of some good deals.

1 comment:

  1. Great photo's! I haven't been to Calgary since I was a kid but it looks like somewhere I would like to go again :)

    ReplyDelete