March 3, 2014

Our Second Lemon Tart / Pie

The last time we made a lemon tart, it was an epic disaster! My crust was the downfall. Since Q and I were baking for a dinner party this weekend, we didn't want to take any risks, and bought a pre-made pie shell. Thank youuuuu, Tenderflake!


Whole Lemon Tart
1 partially baked 9-inch tart shell
1 average-sized lemon, rinsed and dried
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 stick unsalted butter, cut into chunks
4 large eggs
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon table salt

Center a rack in the oven and preheat to 350 F. Place the tart shell on a baking sheet.

Slice the lemon into thin wheels, remove any seeds, and toss the rounds (lemon flesh and peel), sugar, and chunks of butter into a food processor. Process until the lemon is thoroughly pureed. Add the eggs, cornstarch, and salt and pulse until the batter is smooth.

Pour batter into prepared tart shell. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until the filling is set. Cool on a rack, unmold tart pan, and serve.

Source: Smitten Kitchen

Our Quatchtastic notes: Q and I were able to make do with a blender as opposed to a food processor. We used one regular lemon, and the fleshy half of another. We had enough batter to fill one 9-inch pie shell and four mini tart shells. The 9-inch pie took almost 60 minutes to set (the oven we used was an oldie). If we had powdered sugar, we would have sprinkled it on top to cover up some of the imperfections. We ate the pie warm and chilled. Both ways tasted great!

2 comments:

  1. Lauren, & QK, QL, QBJuly 24, 2014 at 5:36 AM

    Your pie sounds fantastic. A tip for using an old oven, I use a metal over thermometer to gauge the temperature. I had an oven i used that was 40 degrees off! I use it even in the newer ovens to great success!

    http://www.amazon.com/POT750X-High-Heat-Oven-Thermometer/dp/B0021AEAIK

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great tip! I received a themometer at Christmas!

    ReplyDelete