January 5, 2014

Mellow Carrot Cake

  • The Quatchis and I are milking the last few days of our vacation in Kingston. We tested a few new recipes, including the one below. The cake / quick bread turned out quite well, and tastes great, even without the frosting. Enjoy!


  • Carrot Tea Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting

    1 stick unsalted butter, room temperature, plus more for pan
    1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for pan
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
    1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
    2 large eggs
    1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
    1 cup packed grated carrots (from about 2 carrots)
    1 bar cream cheese, room temperature
    1 cup confectioners' sugar

    Preheat oven to 350 F. Butter and flour a 5 x 9 loaf pan. In a bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg.

    Using an electric mixer, beat butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy; beat in eggs and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Beat in carrots. With mixer on low, gradually add flour mixture; beat just until combined. Transfer batter to prepared pan; bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 40 to 45 minutes. Let cool in pan 5 minutes. Turn cake out onto a wire rack, and let cool completely.


    Using mixer, beat cream cheese, confectioners' sugar, and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla until fluffy. Frost top of cooled cake.

    Source:
     Martha Stewart

2 comments:

  1. Oh, I miss you Quatchis. Another Winter Olympics is coming! I prefer Quatchis than the new fellow. Keep up with the baking!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like such a nice cake. I'm a big fan of MS loaf cake recipes, I've tried a lemon one that turned out superbly!

    ReplyDelete