August 16, 2010

Xi'an, The Eternal City

Xi'an is the capital of Shaanxi province. It is one of the Four Great Ancient Capitals of China because it has been the capital of some of the most important dynasties in Chinese history, including the Zhou, Qin, Han, Sui, and Tang dynasties.

The first night we were in Xi'an we had a dumpling dinner. Each round of dumplings was a different colour, smell, taste, and style. I think we sampled 18 types in total!

The Drum Tower was initially built in 1380 during the reign of Emperor Hongwu of the Ming Dynasty (1368-1644). I didn't have a chance to go up it, but it was very impressive, even from a distance!

The night market in Xi'an was very lively. I tried a few snacks from some of the hawkers. Everything was delicious and oh so cheap. Why can't they sell anything other than hot dogs on the street in Toronto?!?

The Terracotta Army was my favourite attraction in Xi'an. This is the main entrance to the museum.

The Terracotta Army was discovered in 1974 by local farmers who were digging a well. The farmers unearthed a huge burial pit belonging to the tomb of Emperor Qin Shi Huang, the founding Qin Dynasty emperor who unified China into a central state and also laid the foundation for the Great Wall.

It is estimated that there are over 8,000 soliders, 130 chariots with 520 horses, and 150 cavalry horses.

The tomb took approximately 38 years to build, between 247 BC and 208 BC, and utilized the labour of over 700,000 conscripts. The emperor died in 210 BC. Here's Q taking a closer look at some of the warriors.

The Xi'an Railway Station is in the northeast part of town, just outside the city wall. It was quite something! The place was very crowded and noisy. I was a little overwhelmed so I didn't take any photos of Q here. Sorry buddy!

Walking down the stairs to the trains. Kinda tricky with three weeks worth of luggage!

Window view from my bunk. The countryside was beautiful!

Q getting some shut eye. The train ride was 16 hours, and they turn off the lights at 10 p.m., so there was plenty of time to catch up on some much needed rest.

While in Xi'an, we also visited a technology corporation and a small village to meet local rural residents. Overall, I really enjoyed Xi'an and all its history. I would definitely like to revisit the city in the future.

Next stop...Shanghai!

No comments:

Post a Comment